Thursday 1 May 2008

Eddie Izzard for MP?

Out of all the celebrities that could run for office in Great Britain, you probably wouldn't wager that comedian Eddie Izzard would be interested in running a campaign.

Known for his role as con-man Wayne Malloy on FX’s the Riches, Izzard spoke of his political ambitions during an interview with Newsweek this month. And no, he wasn’t pulling the interviewer’s leg when he elaborated on the fact he happens to be “very into European politics” right now.

When asked if he was serious about running for office, Izzard replied: “Yeah. Don't you think I should?”

“If you think I should and I think I should, then I should. I do like people and trying to make things work. We've got to make it work in Europe. People are very worried about sovereignty and the loss of sovereignty. I think the stakes are if we don't make the European Union work, then the world is screwed. End of story,” he said.

Izzard also spoke of his ideas about how governments in Europe should run: “Logical governance is the thing,” he said. “It already exists. It's called subsidiarity, which is based on Catholic theology and is basically the idea that governance happens at its logical level.”

Maybe he’ll run on the Lib Dem ticket in 2010? Only time will tell. He said he’s not in any hurry to become a politician and his bid is at least “a decade away.”

For now, Izzard will continue to concentrate on his burgeoning film career and upcoming U.S. comedy tour. He can be found starting alongside Tom Cruise in the yet-to-be-released Nazi drama “Valkyrie” and will be heard voicing a character in the next Chronicles of Narnia film, “The Caspian Prince.”

Author's note: Look at me! I wrote a news story for my class. Aw, bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment